Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Nanny Diaries

In addition to being a full-time B.U. student, I also have a part-time job. I use the word “part-time” loosely because at times it seems as if I am working more than I am doing anything else.

Sometimes I even have to sleep there!

I am a professional babysitter. Nanny? Childcare provider? Tutor, mentor, mother, friend? Whichever you prefer—I do it all.

In fact, before I got a real job for next year, my friends and I used to joke that I was destined to become a babysitter for life. As much as the idea of becoming the real life main character of The Nanny Diaries scared me, I had to admit that my babysitting resume far surpassed my PR one. I was even moving up in the babysitting world—11 dollars an hour for two kids freshman year and 15 dollars an hour for just one this year!

As a babysitter, half of my responsibilities allow me to be a kid again. I don’t know how many other soon-to-be college grads can say that jumping on trampolines, drawing with sidewalk chalk or making green slime are a part of their daily activities.

Not to mention, I am up to date with pretty much every Disney Channel and Nickelodeon television show (some of my favorites include: Zoey 101, The Suite Life of Zac and Cody, and iCarly), Webkinz and Club Penguin are websites that I am all too familiar with, and 8:30 pm does not seem like an unreasonable bedtime hour.

However, for as many times as I get to pretend to be a kid again there are also countless moments where I feel like the ultimate adult. I make dinner, wash dishes, read bedtime stories, give baths, help with homework, pick up from school and supervise playdates. On Fridays I drive the minivan to and from a 45-minute swimming lesson. And sometimes I even pick up the family dog from “Doggy Daycare!”

This is why I strongly believe that my job as a babysitter epitomizes this chapter in my life. At work, as well as in life, I am faced daily with the delicate balance between carefree childhood antics and mature, responsible adult decisions.

Because as much fun as it is to do back-flips off the side of a brick wall on to the trampoline, the fact of the matter is that as a babysitter it is my job to make sure that it simply does not happen.

Being a babysitter makes me realize that although I do want to have a family someday, I am by no means ready yet. While I have grown to love my babysitting charges and various aspects of becoming a permanent part of someone else’s home, I am not ready to spend my afternoons discussing my child’s dietary habits with the other mothers at swimming lessons.

On especially exasperating days I cannot help but look forward to the moment when I finally tuck the little girl into bed. After nearly an hour of nagging and arguing, her teeth are finally brushed, pajamas are on and I am confident that she will very soon drift away into a deep, peaceful sleep. As I begin to leave the room she always calls after me in a way that only a child can, “Goodnight Cristina. Can’t wait for tomorrow!”

I close the door and smile at her sweet, innocent optimism.

And then my smile grows even brighter when I remember that her parents will be home soon :)

No comments: