Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Reason To Celebrate


The day before I left for spring break my phone rang and I was offered a job at TJX Corporations in their Corporate Merchandise Training Program (PASE).

And with just one simple phone call my entire world was turned upside down.

Ok well maybe it was not that dramatic but it was still extremely exciting. Exciting enough that I temporarily forgot I was speaking to my future employer and accidentally screamed into the phone, "Oh my God! I am so excited!"

Way to be professional. Luckily, I was able to compose myself long enough to accept the offer with a suitable amount of poise.

As of that morning, I was your average, wayward college senior trying desperately not to allow the fact that graduation was fast approaching and I was still job-less enter into my conscious mind.

As of that afternoon, I am now an employed young professional!

I am very happy to already know what I will be doing after graduation and since TJX was by far my first choice, I prepared long and hard for all of my interviews with them. Upon receiving the job offer I was overwhelmed with both relief and a strong sense of accomplishment. I cannot wait to start my career with this company.

That’s why I was surprised to find that along with the feelings of excitement and achievement I was also filled with a temporary sense of uncertainty and anxiety. Thousands of questions whirled through my head: Where am I going to live next year? How am I going to drive to work everyday? Will I be able to support myself? I am a really ready to be an independent adult?

Although I am still worried about all of these things, I have decided that I am going to enjoy my last two months of life as a college student. I have plenty of time to sweat the “small stuff” later and for now the important thing is I have my very first grown-up job. My very first career path!

Day by day my anxiety is morphing into joy. Although my “life in neverland” is now officially NOT going to last forever, I still have a lot of celebrating to do!

1 comment:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.